The best health supplement you’ve never tried!
Posted by PROPROTEIN LTD ADMIN
Hey! Gareth Sapstead here - MYOBAND Fitness Director.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I workout to feel strong and look great naked, year-round. And, I want to still be doing that in decades to come.
There’s a certain amount of wear and tear you can expect from any training regime, but the idea is that your body is always able to repair itself, with muscle, connective tissue and even bone getting stronger all the time.
But, especially as we get older, and during intense periods of training, our joints and connective tissues need all the support they can get. If you want to be training for life, pain-free, then it’s essential you take care of the parts of your body that allow you to move.
One of my favorite supplements to help support my body throughout the year, and one I consider a health “essential” for most (alongside Omega 3’s and Vitamin D3), is a good glucosamine supplement - Quite possibly the best “health” supplement you’ve never tried!
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring amino sugar that serves as a fundamental building block of glycosaminoglycans, one of the structural components found in cartilage and other connective tissues. Glycosaminoglycans are key contributors to cartilaginous properties, such as elasticity, strength, and flexibility (1, 2).
In addition to this, there’s some evidence to suggest that glucosamine sulphate could work to reduce your bodies production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (2, 3). The term “inflammation” is thrown around a lot these days, but, when we truly do want to reduce inflammation then it’s these pro-inflammatory cytokines we need to manage.
If you’ve a family history of osteoarthritis, or already have symptoms, glucosamine sulphate has evidence showing that it truly works in both the management and treatment of conditions (4). Now, I hear you; “but I’m not ‘old’ yet so why should I care about my bones weakening?”. I hear you, after all I don’t think of myself as being “old” either. But, I do care about the future and
preventing such things.
If you care about your joints, connective tissues and trying to delay the signs of ageing and reduced movement, or you’re just training hard; search for a good supplement containing glucosamine sulphate. Your hard-working body will thank you.
- Healthy skin: reduce wrinkles and dryness.
- Relieving painful joints: through maintaining the cartilage between our joints.
- Preventing bone loss: more than 90% of our bones are made up of collagen.
- Building muscle mass: between 1 and 10% of muscle tissue contains collagen, which is vital for keeping our muscles strong and functioning properly.
- Your heart: it’s believed taking collagen supplements can help reduce the risk of heart-related conditions, as it provides our arteries with structure.
1) Henrotin Y, Mobasheri A, Marty M. Is there any scientific evidence for the use of glucosamine in the management of human osteoarthritis? Arthritis Res Ther. 2012 Jan 30;14(1):201.
2) Yoshimura M, Sakamoto K, Tsuruta A, Yamamoto T, Ishida K, Yamaguchi H, Nagaoka I. Evaluation of the effect of glucosamine administration on biomarkers for cartilage and bone
metabolism in soccer players. Int J Mol Med. 2009 Oct;24(4):487-94.
3) Henrotin Y, Chevalier X, Herrero-Beaumont G, McAlindon T, Mobasheri A, Pavelka K, Schön C, Weinans H, Biesalski H., Participants at the Hohenheim Consensus Conference in August 29th 2011. Physiological effects of oral glucosamine on joint health: current status and consensus
on future research priorities. BMC Res Notes. 2013 Mar 26;6:115.
4) Williams C, Ampat G. Glucosamine Sulfate. 2021 Jun 26. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan–. PMID: 32644356.