- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500g extra lean beef mince
- 3 teaspoons Mexican spice mix
- 1 can of corn
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 115g (1/2 cup) red lentils
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 120g chargrilled capsicum strips, drained
- 400g can black beans or kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 long fresh green chillies, sliced
- Natural yoghurt, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery, and stir them for 1-2 minutes.
Add mince to the mix and cook together for 4 minutes.
Add the spice mix and cumin. Season and taste throughout.
Stir in lentils and tomato.
Add 375ml (1½ cups) water.
Bring mixture to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and mixture has thickened.
Stir through the capsicum, corn and beans, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Stir through half the coriander and half the chilli.
Divide chilli con Carne among serving bowls.
Scatter with the remaining coriander and chilli.
Serve with 450g of brown rice and yoghurt, if using.